FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 8/7/2017
Contact: Adriane Barnes, (501) 516-6255, email@example.com
Governor Hutchinson Declares August 6-12 as Arkansas Farmers Market Week
Little Rock, AR. – Governor Hutchinson has proclaimed August 6-12 as Farmers Market Week in the State of Arkansas joining the national proclamation by the United States Department of Agriculture.
"Our farmers markets support local economies; offer fresh, healthy food sources for our families; and provide a way for farmers to directly engage with consumers. We are proud to join a national week of highlighting the role agriculture and farmers markets play in strengthening our communities."
An official proclamation, available at https://governor.arkansas.gov/images/uploads/170806_2017_Farmers_Market_Week_in_the_State_of_Arkansas.pdf, has been signed by Governor Hutchinson and states:
· Farmers Markets are important outlets for agricultural producers in Arkansas, providing them with increased opportunities to meet consumer demand for a variety of fresh, affordable, healthy, and locally sourced products;
· Farmers Markets across Arkansas play a key role in developing local and regional food systems that support the sustainability of Arkansas farms, revitalize rural communities, and preserve Arkansas’s rich tradition of family farming;
· Access to healthy food is a priority area for the Healthy Active Arkansas Initiative to reduce obesity rates in the State of Arkansas;
· The increased consumption of fresh produce and other farm products found at Farmers Markets, as part of a well-balanced diet, promotes the health and well-being of Arkansans;
· The number and popularity of Farmers Markets in Arkansas continue to rise as more and more consumers discover the benefits of locally grown and locally made products;
· The State of Arkansas recognizes the many benefits of Farmers Markets for agricultural producers and consumers and is committed to educating our State and this Nation about the important role of Arkansas agriculture in providing for our food supply and food security;
Find a list of Arkansas Farmers Markets at Arkansas Grown (www.arkansasgrown.org) and the Arkansas Farmers Market Association (www.arkansasfarmersmarketassociation.com).
The AAD is dedicated to the development and implementation of policies and programs for Arkansas agriculture and forestry to keep its farmers and ranchers competitive in national and international markets while ensuring safe food, fiber, and forest products for the citizens of the state and nation.
The Arkansas Agriculture Department offers its programs to all eligible persons regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.